New Years Resolutions You SHOULD Break!
- By Adrien Finkel
LOS ANGELES LIFESTYLE | CULTURE
The New Year is upon us. It is that special time not only to start fresh, but to reflect on this past year’s resolutions. Remember that diet you started on January 2nd? That gym membership you dropped way too much money on… just for a few measly visits? Well don’t worry, I am right there with you. Those bold commitments to long-lasting personal goals are a distant memory.
At the blink of an eye, here we are again. January 2012. The good thing is, you have a spanking new chance to make up-to-date resolutions. The bad news is…I am not going to make it easy for you.
Here is my list of the Top Ten Exciting Things in 2012 Worth BREAKING Your Resolutions For.
I apologize in advance.
10. CUT DOWN ON SHOPPING – Well girls, this one is not going to be easy with the release of Christian Louboutin’s Spring 2012 Line. Filled with bright colors, exciting prints, and ultra high heels, this is a season you just can’t skip.
9. LESS TV- You can try your hardest to keep that television off, but that just won’t be possible with the extensive list of new shows releasing in 2012. For Example, this spring is the arrival of ABC’s new sitcom, Don’t Trust the B**** in Apt. 23, starring Dreama Walker, Kristen Ritter, and James Van Der Beek. The series tells the story of two New York City roommates – one a down on her luck barista and the other a savvy con artist. This Odd Couple-esque story dashed with a bit of romance is bound to one of best comedies this new season.
8. READ MORE – We have all been told that The Hunger Games books are addicting. But why read the book, when The Hunger Games movie arrives on March 23, 2012. The Hunger Games, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth, is easily one of the most anticipated movies of the year. Set in the future, the Capitol chooses 2 people from each district to fight to the death on live television when Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) steps in and takes place of her sister in the latest match. Watch the trailer above.
7. SPEND LESS TIME ON THE PHONE – It’s true, we are way too attached to our cellular devices. But 2012 is NOT the time to quit. We are all excited for iPhone’s sixth generation, the iPhone 5, set to release October 2012. This fantastic new gadget is rumored to have an edge-to-edge screen, completely removing the physical ‘home’ button. It also will introduce wireless charging, removing the need for a physical cable and replacing it with a portable charge mat that induces the charge into your phone! SO exciting!
6. LAY OFF THE ALCOHOL – Ok, yes, it might be a wise choice to lay off the sprits, but I say just limit your drink count and still hit up one of the coolest new bars in town. The Writers Room in Hollywood, was once the glamorous “back room” to the restaurant “Musso and Frank” in the 1930’s and 40’s. It was there that people like F. Scott Fitzgerland and Raymond Chandler were rumored to throw back a few gimlets. This year some of Hollywood’s most important people teamed up to revive to the old bar and bring back its old Hollywood charm. The Writers Room is located at 6675 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028.
5. LEARN TO COOK – Well, I know its nice to cook and all, but remember Pacé, that great Italian date spot I told you about? Well, I’ve just been informed that they deliver! Why slave away at spaghetti Bolognese, when Pace prepares it so perfectly! To check out the menu and order for delivery, go to: http://peaceinthecanyon.com/
4. USE LESS GAS – We all have issues with filling up our tanks too much and adding more pollution to this smoggy city. BUT, I suggest you fill up that tank anyway and take a trip to Disneyland to check out the updated Madderhorn Bobsled ride! The Madderhorn, originally built in 1957, has been renovated and updated with even faster bobsleds and up-to-date features. So get your friends together, hop in your gas-guzzler, and head on over to the happiest place on earth.
3. CUT OUT SWEETS – Okay, sugar makes you fat, but how can you resist when New York City’s famous Magnolia Bakery is only minutes from your doorstep. If you are not aware, it’s been almost a year since Magnolia opened on 3rd street and it is still as busy as ever. And you may be clued in on the cupcake situation, but are you aware of their out of this world banana pudding? I didn’t think so. So diet for a few days, but when your will has gone and you are pining for some pudding, you MUST hit up Magnolia. For more info: http://www.magnoliabakery.com/home.php
2. CHECK OUT OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP – It might be so that the spark between you and your person has dwindled and you are hanging on for dear life. But, before you resolve to put an end to things, try and rekindle your love at Le Petit Retreat in Larchmont. This personalized day spa is acclaimed for their same room couples spa treatment packages. To make a reservation, click HERE
1. BUY LOCAL – Okay, friends, this last one I am NOT going to talk you out of. Buying local is one of the greatest ways to help out our country, and I have the BEST place for you to do it. The Local Peasant in Sherman Oaks is one of my absolute favorite places to dine and drink. At this hip, new gastro pub feel free to try from their 20 different selections of locally sourced alcohol and their fabulous menu prepared with local ingredients. Make sure you try the Watermelon Mojito and the Portobello Mushroom Burger. For more info: http://www.thelocalpeasant.com/
So, here’s to a Happy New Year and a few broken resolutions along the way. And remember, only the good die young. Enjoy!